Saturday, October 10, 2009

I AM WHO I AM



“God has to work in a man,
before he can work through a man.”
Leonard Ravenhill










I AM WHO I AM

In Exodus 3:14 God instructs a reluctant Moses
to tell the children of Israel in Egyptian bondage
that I AM sent him to redeem them.

Redemption is a deep theme of the exodus account
and obviously foretells of our redemption in Christ Jesus.

God says to Moses,
“I AM WHO I AM…
thus you shall say to the sons of Israel,
I AM has sent me to you.”
Exodus 3:14 NAS

The phrase I AM in the Hebrew language
is closely related to God’s personal name given in Exodus 6:3,
YHWH – Yahweh or Jehovah.

Most biblical scholars contend that pronunciation of Yehweh
is more accurate than Jehovah.

Although the meaning of Yehweh is not totally clear,
it seems to suggest
the timelessness of a God
who is the very foundation of all existence.

Perhaps a hint of this is found in this revelation of Christ –
“from Him who is,
and who was,
and who is to come.”

Revelation 1:4 NAS

Jesus was most likely referring to this in John 8:58
when He said,
“Before Abraham was born, I AM.”

“Christ is the same yesterday,
and today,
yes and forever.”
Hebrews 13:8 NAS

30

No comments:

Post a Comment