Sunday, October 4, 2009

The King of Salem


I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly God was speaking: "My name is I am."
I waited and God continued:
"When you live in the past, with its mistakes and regrets, it is hard.
I am not there.
My name is not I was.
When you live in the future, with its problems and fears, it is hard.
I am not there.
My name is not I will be.
When you live in this moment, it is not hard.
I am here.
My name is I AM."
Helen Mellincost

The King of Salem

Genesis 14:18-20 NLT

18 And Melchizedek, the king of Salem (early name for Jerusalem)
and a priest of God Most High, (el – strength, mighty)
brought Abram some bread and wine.
19 Melchizedek blessed Abram (high or exalted father) with this blessing:
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator of heaven and earth.
20 And blessed be God Most High,
who has defeated your enemies for you.”
Then Abram gave Melchizedek
a tenth of all the goods he had recovered.

I have heard it suggested that Melchizedek was Shem the son of Noah.

If we allow scripture to interpret scripture,

this is clearly not a realistic choice.

In these verses alone, Melchizedek is identified as:
1. The king of Salem (Salem = complete and perfect peace)
Salem was the early name for Jerusalem
2. priest of God Most High
3. one who blesses…
4. Melchizedek means “king of justice”

Melchizedek is further described in Hebrews chapter 7,

1 This Melchizedek was king of the city of Salem
and also a priest of God Most High.
When Abraham was returning home
after winning a great battle against the kings,
Melchizedek met him and blessed him.
2 Then Abraham took a tenth of all he had captured in battle
and gave it to Melchizedek.
The name Melchizedek means “king of justice,”
(justice – dikaiosune – [dik ah yos oo nay] = equity, justice, righteousness)
and king of Salem means “king of peace.”
(eirene – [I rah nay] = peace and prosperity)
3 There is no record of his father or mother
or any of his ancestors—
no beginning or end to his life.
He remains a priest forever,
resembling the Son of God.

Here we find that Melchizedek:
5. had no record of a mother or father
6. no record of ancestors
7. had no beginning or end to his life
8. remains a priest forever
9. resembles the Son of God

I don’t believe there is any doubt that Melchizedek was indeed, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.
That concluded, we find in these verses the hear of God demonstrated in Melchizedek’s nature.
Note that:
1. He brought bread and wine to Abram
2. He blessed Abram
3. He blessed God Most High
4. He gave God the glory for Abram’s victory
5. He received the tithe of ten percent of all that was captured during the battle.

The bread and wine symbolic of the New Covenant in Christ Jesus
The blessings show the hearts attitude of our God.
The victory symbolic of our victory in Christ Jesus.
30

No comments:

Post a Comment