Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Part 3 of 12 Graham Cooke Voice of the Prophets 2009


"To God, our journey is as important as our destinations."
Beth Moore
Graham Cooke
Voice of the Prophets
4-16-09 Christ Community Church Camp Hill

Notes fkj
When you talk to Graham Cooke, you can sense he’s been hanging out with God. He’s at the same time down-to-earth and full of spiritual wisdom on everything from prayer to spiritual warfare to prophecy to intimacy with God. Cooke is well known for his prophetic training programs and has a passion to build prototype churches that can reach our postmodern society. God also uses him to help transition churches into higher levels of vision and ministry.
The following are my notes from a sermon by Graham Cook which was presented at Christ Community Church’s ‘Voice of the Prophets convention’ on April 16, 2009. I believe Graham is a very humorous man of God with a poignant message for the church today.


“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because He has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted, He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and freedom to prisoners, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn. To grant those who mourn in Zion, giving them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting so they will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.”

When He read that out He was reading out His own identity statement.

Part 3 of 12

He was telling people this is my persona. This is how I am known in heaven.
When Moses said to the Father, “Show me your glory.” The Father said, “O.K. I’ll cause my goodness to pass before you.” How many of us really understand that the glory of God is totally encapsulated in His goodness. He says the glory of God will fill the whole earth that means His goodness will fill the whole earth. It’s the goodness and kindness of God that leads us to repent. So He says, “I’ll cause My goodness to pass before you”… so come up to the mountain and I’ll hide you in the cleft of a rock and I’ll cover you with My hand, because what He’s saying is My goodness is so powerful, unless I protect you it might incinerate you. It’s that radiant.
That’s why we need new bodies… when we get…aren’t you glad about that, you get a new body, yeah. Great, I’m looking for another shape other than round. That would be great! I want a different shape; I want to give round away.
By the way, like, wouldn’t one of the most sensible spiritual gifts would have been to be able to cast calories into really thin people? Wouldn’t that have been a great spiritual gift? I mean we could have a multi-billion dollar… we wouldn’t need 501C3’s We’d all be mega rich, we would be living in prosperity, churches would be full… it would be great.
Anyway…. So Moses gets up there on the mountain, and he’s hiding behind, and he gets to see God’s rear end… ‘You can’t see my face but I’ll show you my back.’
O.K. I thought that was funny. And then God starts shouting out His persona:
He wants to let Moses know, ‘This is who I Am.’ I’m compassionate, I’m gracious, I’m Slooooooooooooooooooooooooow to anger, (unlike some Christians), I’m merciful, I’m truthful, I’m faithful, I’m forgiving… I can just amagine Him walking down going … I’m this and I’m this and I’m this… are you watching are you watching… does my butt (referring to himself) look big in this?
Are you watching… and I’m faithful and I’m forgiving! He’s celebrating who He is! Because that’s what you do when you have an identity – you celebrate it! He’s telling Moses, ‘This is my persona, this is how I’m known in heaven.
Later on Jesus is found saying to his disciples, ‘Boys, it is better for you if I go away. And they’re all going, ‘No it’s not!’ ‘You’re not wrong about most things, but you’re wrong about this.’ ‘We need you to stay around for at least a hundred years.’ ‘Or at least till I’m dead.’ But he said, ‘No guys, its better for you if I go away, ‘cause if I go away, He can come!’ And, He starts talking about the Holy Spirit, in John 16. And He says, ‘He will help you with everything!’ ‘He’ll convict the world’s system of sin, so the church doesn’t have to do it.’ [subtle stare at congregation – like ‘did you get that?’] He will convince people of their need for righteousness. He will judge the ruler of this world. So the church can go to people who aren’t saved and say, ‘Hey, do you want to here some good news?’
‘The ruler of this world has been judged on your behalf…you’re free!’ And to prove it lets get your body healed, let’s give you a word from the Lord. You’re free, the curtain has been torn in two, there are no obstacles between you and the Father. Here, me, my jog is that I’m an ambassador of reconciliation.
[Edit: II Corinthians 5:18 & Ephesians 6:20]
I’m telling you that you have already been reconciled, and now you need to turn that reconciliation into redemption! That’s like getting your credit card in the mail and you can’t use it until you get in touch with the principle. That’s why there is no place for judgment in this life. You know that God is not judging a living soul on this earth. There is no place for judgment in this life. We are living in a season between Calvary, which was judgment on Christ for all the sins of mankind… we are living between that day of judgment on Calvary, and The Day of Judgment, when God wraps up everything on the earth and everyone will be judged. Between those two times of judgment, we are living a prophetic season of grace. Let me ask you a question… ‘Was Jesus judged enough for sin?’ If he wasn’t then there isn’t a person in this room who is saved, right?. ‘Was Jesus punished 100% for sin?’ Some of you are convinced, others are saying ‘I’ll just hedge my bets and wait, it might just be a trick question.’ But it’s not. Third question, ‘Did the Father pour our every last ounce of wrath and anger and indignation upon Jesus?’ So, He hasn’t got any left then. Come on, you can’t have it both ways. God is not a schizophrenic. The church might be, but He is not a schizophrenic. We are ambassadors of reconciliation. God isn’t judging anybody, because He is satisfied with the price that Jesus paid. There is no place for judgment in this life. All judgment has been suspended until The Day of Judgment. So right now in this world, we are ambassadors of reconciliation. You know when God looks at you He doesn’t see anything wrong with you? Because He looks at you, through the lens of Jesus. When the Holy Spirit points out to you a part of your life that’s not working properly, it’s not for the purpose of condemnation, or shame or guilt. What He’s doing, He’s pointing out to you the sight of your next miracle. That’s why when the Lord shows anyone prophetic… when He shows you something about a person that’s negative; it’s not for them!
It is for you. The Father wants you to understand, where they are in terms of their life and circumstances. And He doesn’t want you to prophesy the problem.
He’s trusting you with their problem, and he wants to use you to give them a solution. He wants to use you to bring them a breakthrough. So when the Lord shows you something negative, you don’t prophesy the first thing you get. You prophesy the second thing you get…which is… you’re now saying “O.K. thank you Father I understand now what’s going on in their life, what is it you want to say.”
It’s the second thing that you hear, that you prophesy. You use that first thing in two ways; first of all you use it to pray for the individual… and then you use it to get the right word for what God wants to say in their life. Thirdly, you use it to humble yourself. Because now the way in which you deliver that word, is really important. Because now, you have the responsibility to restore that person in the Spirit of meekness. [Edit Galatians 6:1 "Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted."] But you have got to consider yourself in the process. What does that mean? If you were in their shoes, how would you like someone to prophesy over you? We’re ambassadors of reconciliation. We’re moving out in blessing because that’s the kingdom. Nobody in the world is safe from a blessing. No one’s safe… but you have to understand if you’re going to be prophetic, you have to understand your own identity. You have to understand that you’re prophetic ministry has to be in line with the Gospel, which is good news. We can’t have prophets not lining up with the Gospel. We can’t have prophetic ministries not lining up with being ambassadors of reconciliation. A prophet has to be good news even if that news is repent. There are ways in which we bring words to our correctives in peoples lives. What we’re seeing in the world right now in terms of some the catastrophes and difficulties… there not judgments… they’re consequences.

End Part 3 of 12

No comments:

Post a Comment